Tips, Advice, Articles, Crafts, Recipes & Resources for the divine domesting Diva in you!

http://www.mommyshappyhelpers.com/newsletter.htm

More info and goodies will be added!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Asking For Care

How do you ask a husband to care, to show concern and empathy?

How do you ask him to ask you how you are, and to spend some time listening?

How do you ask a toddler to love you, to not be mean - mean only to you?

How do you ask the world to give you a break, just for a little while?

How do you ask a husband to see you, to hear you, to know you, to matter?

How do you ask a toddler to cherish you, to trust you, to like you, to listen?

How do you ask the world to help you, support you, to give you dreams come true?

How do you ask a husband to care? How do you ask a toddler to care? How do you ask the world to care? Or to be there, or to share, or to be fair?

It's not fair that I feel the need to ask for a husband, a toddler and the world to care. They can't hear, but I'm asking for care.

1 comment:

~Pastor D said...

Annie said...

I tried to comment on your last "domestic divas" entry although realized, after all that typing, it doesn't allow anyone but team members to comment - THEREFORE - I will paste it here...

You would be surprised how incredibly common these feelings are and how often I ask these same questions – like earlier this evening when I realized Nate hadn’t made eye contact with me in several days. It is like a routine of aloof chill that we fall into every couple months. I usually breakdown every now and then to point out things I do… Like, “Don’t you notice that I color coordinate your closet of fresh smelling laundry on hangers spaced exactly 1 inch apart so it looks orderly and aides you in the morning outfit selection process so you have more time to gripe at me about what I failed at prior to methodically kissing me goodbye while your eyes are furiously scanning the room for your keys?”

How do you like that for a run-on sentence??

You two need to pawn off the toddler for a couple days and go out of town. Nathan and I always have a “come to jesus” moment when we can get away from our daily life and take a look at “us” void of routine. I’ve noticed that, although children are most important, your relationship needs to come first as it has provided the basis of which everything was built and will continue to grow. You will notice that a harmonious romantic life yields more than dirty sheets and your glowing cheeks – it calms everyone down around you. At this point, your toddler may act out simply to make you react. Your exhaustion = weakness in their little eyes, dilated by cheerios and the occasional piece of carpet lint they might have stuck in their mouth when you werent looking.

Heck, I usually don’t know what I’m talking about although I know my own patterns and weaknesses that have hindered progress in the past.

Learn from your past but never use it to define yourself. I too feel like I work hard and passionately on a whole lot of nothing, although I sincerely believe that one day all that experience I have piecing together ideas that never “finish” or flourish, will arm me with something divine.

Sometimes, I honestly believe that the humility it has given me might be my biggest success.

You write with this humility and honesty which, if nothing else, made me feel a little more "normal" today for whatever that is worth. Keep up the good work.

- Annie

July 23, 2007 6:42 PM